The Bare Necessities
1) Passport – Valid for at least 6 months AFTER DTS. Very important if you want to travel at all!
2) English Bible, stationary and a journal (to write down all the amazing things God will speak to you!).
3) Sleeping bag, pillow and pillowcase.
4) Personal Towel. (probably not recommended to share with others)
5) Water bottle.
6) Sunscreen/Sun block.
7) Sunglasses. (For the beach or when you encounter God)
8) Toiletries. (Most items can be brought from a local supermarket nearby)
9) Backpack. (Suitcases are not recommended because of outreach)
According to which time period you are coming, please plan to dress accordingly. This is not a one-size-fit-all guideline because of the unpredictability of Muizenberg’s weather, but it would be wisest to have a generic plan.
Winter (About 10 to 20 Degrees Celsius): June – August
Spring (About 13-23 Degrees Celsius): September – November
Summer (~17-30 Degrees Celsius): December – February
Autumn/Fall (~13-23 Degrees Celsius): March – May
1) 3 Sets of Casual Wear (for classes and general activities)
2) 1 Set of Smart Semi-formal Wear (for church and special events)
3) 1 Set of Swimwear (be VERY modest.)
For Men: No speedos or trunks. Only board shorts.
For Women: A fully-pieced one-piece bathing suit. Not half-a-piece. Not 3/4 piece. Contact your local conservative church if you are unsure what an appropriate one-piece looks like.
4) Sweater and Windbreaker (Muizenberg is known by its guests for its gusts.)
5) Winter Jacket (for duh!winter.)
1 Set for Hiking (Cape Town is known for hiking mountains with picturesque sights.
1 Set for Special Events
1 Set for Sports (Can be the same one for hiking to save space)
1 Set of Casual (Flip-flops/Sandals)
7) Socks and Underwear (Please do the community a favour and bring more than enough!)
*Please note that everything mentioned above can be bought from a local shopping mall nearby, and you may need to buy new clothes depending on which outreach location you will go to.
1) Electronic devices (Cell phones, Cameras/Laptops and their respective chargers) We advise to bring as few expensive items as possible and they are all brought at your own risk!
2) Umbrella (ella, ella, eh, eh!)
3) Hairdryer, razors, personal care devices.
4) Flashlights (essential for sunrise hikes).
5) Personal medication and dietary supplements. (local pharmacy is available at a 5-min walk away from the base)
6) Musical Instruments (to impress your DTS crush).
7) Accessories (to attract your DTS crush).